Search This Blog

All Posts

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Baby Gender Predictors - Old Wives Tales

Going into this pregnancy, and even before I knew I was pregnant, I didn't have a preference of who I would like to have first, boy or girl. 

That changed after about 16 weeks of being pregnant. I knew my husband wanted a baby boy, although he said either one is such a blessing. I guess I started leaning more towards wanting a baby boy first because of him. 

But I had a feeling we would have a girl, just because we both really wanted a boy. We knew of several couples who wanted a firstborn boy and ended up having a first girl. 

Now I never believed in Old Wives tales of gender predictions, you know, the wedding band on a string, or basketball vs watermelon stomach, but out of curiosity I decided to see what my symptoms pointed to, and later see if most of them were right or wrong. 

Well that "later" time came (= 
We now know for certain we are having a boy, and I wanted to go check 10 Old Wives tales of predicting the baby gender with the symptoms I had during my pregnancy. 

#1: How Low Can You Go

"Rumor has it that if you are carrying your baby high, it's a girl. Carrying low? Stock up on blue.
Similar tales say if you carry in front, you've got yourself a little boy, and if you expand horizontally, it's a girl."

Personally I couldn't tell the difference with my stomach, because it wasn't big enough. I think this applies more towards woman who don't find out the gender until they give birth. 

#2: Body Clues

"Legends say that if you are having a little girl, she'll steal your beauty. So, if you've got acne and other not-so-pretty skin blemishes, you've got a little princess coming your way.
Dry hands and cold feet are signs of a boy. So, if you've got these ailments, break out the baby blue."

This one I'll admit was true for me. I didn't get any acne. Also I did have slightly dry hands, so that one was also true, But I never got cold feet, metaphorically or literally speaking.

#3: It's All In The Ring Swing

"Here's a fun one— take off your wedding ring, tie it to a piece of string, and hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, you are promised a boy; back and forth indicates a girl."

David and I actually tried this a day or two before our scheduled ultrasound appointment to find out the gender. An older woman from our church told us about this trick and said it never proved to be wrong with her, so we thought we would try it just for fun. Well, it wasn't wrong for us either (= we tried it once with a needle and once with my wedding band, over the palm, wrist and my belly, and although it was very slight movements the whole time, it was a clear circle movement rather then the back and forth. 

#4: The Old Drano Experiment 

"This one is as old as it is weird. The mom-to-be is required to pee in a cup, and mix in a tablespoon of Drano. If the liquid turns green, you're having a girl. Blue? You guessed it. It's a boy.
We don't recommend trying this one. Mixing these two can result in dangerous fumes or, scary enough, an explosion. A safer version of this experiment uses baking soda. If the mixture fizzles, it's a boy. If it doesn't, you've got yourself a girl!"

I didn't try this.

#5: Be Still My Heart

"Your baby's heart rate might be an indicator of its gender. If your little one's heart rate is under 140 beats per minute, you're having a little boy. If it's over, get ready for your little girl!"
This one proved to be wrong for us. Our baby's heart rate on the first ultrasound was 146.

#6: Gimmie That Chocolate

"Craving sweets? According to some, that means your going to have a little girl. Salty and sour cravings indicate a boy."
I don't recall having any cravings at all. Except pretzels in my first trimester. it wasn't that I craved them, they were just the only things that didn't make me sick. And the first few weeks of my pregnancy EVERYTHING made me sick. So I guess it can count towards being proven true with us.

#7:  Age Isn't Just A Number

"The Mayans used a method where they looked at your age at conception and the year your baby was conceived. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one is even and one is odd, oh baby — it's a boy!"
I was 21 when we conceived and it was this year (2013). Both odd numbers. Proved wrong.

#8: A Little Extra Padding

"Has your spouse been indulging in your pregnancy cravings, too? If your hubby packs on a little sympathy weight, the tales say you're in for a sugary-sweet little girl."
This one was true for us. My husband actually tried gaining weight during the beginning weeks of my pregnancy and couldn't. 

#9: Morning Sickness Blues

"Actually, morning sickness means pink. If you're stricken with a queasy stomach during your first trimester, think ribbons and bows. If you sail through your pregnancy with nary an upset stomach, it's blue all the way."

I was really sick during my first couple weeks. So sick, in fact, I thought we were having twins. So this one wasn't true for us. 

and last one...

#10: Keying In

"If you've got a preggo friend, try this little experiment on her. Place a key in front of her and ask her to pick it up.
If she grabs it by the narrow part, she'll have a sweet little girl. If she picks it up by the round part, she'll have an adorable little boy."

I didn't try this one.



So there you have it. Out of the 10 tests, I didn't try 3, 3 came out to be right, and 4 were wrong. 
If any of you are out there pregnant at the moment and haven't found out the gender yet, I challenge you to write down these 10 and maybe try to find other ones online just to see if they prove to be right or wrong with you.
xoxo
(= 








No comments:

Post a Comment