Search This Blog

All Posts

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Baby Gender Predictors - Old Wives Tales with baby #2!!

  I can't believe it's almost time to find out if we're having a boy or a girl! It seemed like the day would never get here, but here we are, at 18 weeks in this pregnancy, and just a day away from finding out. On my last pregnancy check up (which was at 16 weeks) I asked my doctor when was the soonest they could do an ultra sound to find out the gender. She told me we could do one on my next appointment (which was 4 weeks from that day) or we could do a separate appointment in 2 weeks, when I was 18 weeks along. Guess which one I chose? (=
  On Sunday I reached 18 weeks in my pregnancy. Tomorrow (November 6th) we are having that ultrasound. 
A friend of ours is going to prepare a special way for us to find out, and we'll have another friend capture the moment and our reaction with photos. We'll share those with everyone, but not right away. 
  My side of the family is having a family reunion during the week of Thanksgiving. My family is a bit scattered across the United States. I have a brother and his family who are coming from Alaska. Another brother and his wife from Vancouver Washington. So David, Gabriel and I are also traveling to Utah to get to see everyone all at once. Since the reunion is so close to this appointment we decided to keep the gender a secret until we are able to tell my parents during this thanksgiving trip. We've planned a fun way to announce to them, and the rest of my family. The rest of you guys will have to wait until then (= we promise we won't make you wait any longer. As soon as my family finds out, we're planning to share the news with David's family, and then with the rest of our family and friends. 
  When we found out that Gabriel was a boy, we did a blog post and sent out a link, so thats how both our parents found out. This time we wanted to take advantage of the opportunity we had, and make the reveal more special.

Anyways...


I thought It would be fun to test a few "Old Wives Gender Prediction" tests. I'm doing these before we know the gender, so that I'm not swayed towards one gender. Last time we tried a few, so this time I decided to do a few of the ones I did last time, and some new ones. I settled on doing 9, because its an odd number and the percentage wont end up 50/50. We'll see how right they are this time around (=

So here it goes (=


#1: Chinese calendar:

"Looking at the age of the mother and the month of conception of the baby, the Chinese lunar calendar predicts the gender of the baby. It's said to be 93% accurate."

I just went on a website that asked me my age and the month we conceived our baby, then I clicked the "predict" button and it told me I'm having a boy.  

#2: Beauty Clues

"Legends say that if you are having a little girl, she'll steal your beauty. So, if you've got acne and other not-so-pretty skin blemishes, you've got a little princess coming your way. If your skin has stayed the same, then its a boy."
I don't notice a difference in my skin/beauty, so this predicts a boy.

#3: It's All In The Ring Swing

"Take off your wedding ring, tie it to a piece of string, and hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, you are promised a boy; back and forth indicates a girl."
I also tested this over my palm and my wrist, and all three times it predicted a girl. 

#4: Morning sickness

"If you feel really sick then you are having a girl, if you don't have morning sickness then its a boy"
This pregnancy was VERY different than my first, I had a handful of "sick" days, and those weren't even that bad. so this predicts a boy.

#5: Dry hands

"If you feel like your hands have been more dry then usual, this means you're having a boy"
I have always had dry hands, and I constantly need to use lotion. But they have been more dry during this pregnancy, so this predicts a boy.

#6: Gimmie That Chocolate

"Craving sweets? According to some, that means your going to have a little girl. Salty and savory cravings indicate a boy."
I haven't had much cravings, but one thing I always seem to want is the boneless wings from Applebee's, so from just this one craving it looks like its a boy.

#7: Balance

"If you are clumsy then you're having a boy, but if your stable then its a girl"
I don't feel clumsy at all, so this predicts a girl.

#8: Sleeping side

"If you are sleeping more on your left then you're carrying a boy, if its your right then its a girl."
A few nights ago, I noticed how I prefer sleeping on my right side over my left and thought it odd. So this predicts a girl. 

#9: Moody

"If you are really moody, it's a girl because of all the female hormones, if you aren't as emotional then it's a boy."
I've been SUPER moody with this pregnancy. I seem to cry at the drop of a hat. Just yesterday my close friend was giving a testimony of her life in a small women's group at church and even though I've heard most of her life story several times before, I could barely stop myself from crying. So this predicts a girl.




Out of the 9 tests,  4 predicted a girl, and 5 predicted a boy. With either boy or girl we'll both be super happy. We can't seem to decide wether we want another son, or a daughter. If we have a boy, our sons will have so much fun growing up so close, I won't need to buy any baby clothes, and they can share a room in the future. If we have a girl, it'll be so exciting to have a son AND daughter, and even though I'll have to buy new clothing, it will be so much fun dressing her up. Both of our parents have more grandsons than granddaughters, so a girl would be a nice change. 
Either way, we are really excited to find out who it is (= 

No comments:

Post a Comment